Friday, December 26, 2014

Winter visitors

My niece and nephew are visiting Arizona this weekend with their mom.  So I was researching things to do besides the obvious, malls and movies or long road trips to some place prettier than the valley.  And something that I may be able to do too.  I was really disappointed in how many places are closed till January 2015. I thought Arizona was tourist friendly?   I mean who visits Arizona in the winter time anyhow, right!
 I looked into the Marvel event but it has seriously received bad reviews and it is not teenage price friendly either.  The Japanese Gardens are closed and even Castle and Coasters are closed.
Thankfully the Zoo Lights are open till the 11th of January 2015 and the Arizona Science Center is open too.
And the BESTIE IS RAWHIDE.   It is FREE to walk and browse with the crowds.  The shows cost money, but these are optional.   A 5.00 parking fee applies, so carpool.

They're only here for a few days.  What to do?  Or is this old Aunt just wasting her time?  Is the Mall and movies all there is to do?  What am I missing?  Horseback riding would be awesome but not for an hour.. a whole day or at least a half day.  Cost about the same as a hopper in Disney Land.

On top of this, add colds. I have a cold, my grand daughter has a cold.  And from what I have heard, my nephew had one last week.    I just cannot imagine how much fun the phoenix zoo is going to be for teenagers, with old folk.  If the same rule applies in their generation?
Anyone over the age of 30 is old.

They would love downtown Tempe at night.  Not happening.  To young, to old,  ''I hate being a teenager'' is running through my mind.

They arrive late tonight and leave Tuesday.  This gives them Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Like I shared, only a few days.  I know I am very excited to be seeing them, because I am feeling a little anxious that they will be bored out of their minds.



LET IT GLOW! ZOO LIGHTS!

Open Now through January 11, 2015
5:30 – 10:30 p.m. nightly

Animal viewing is limited during ZooLights.

ZooLights, powered by SRP EarthWise Energy, is a magical experience guaranteed to illuminate your holiday season.

NEW THIS YEAR!

Meet Tortuga the Talking Galapagos Tortoise.
Enjoy two new Music in Motion shows featuring music from the movie Polar Express and Carol of the Bells by Arctic Express.
Watch as an ice sculptor magically makes an animal appear out of a 300 pound block of ice every Thursday during ZooLights starting Thursday, December 18.
Longer hours – 5:30 – 10:30 p.m.
Opens to the public on the Monday prior to Thanksgiving.
Plus:

3.8 million lights
700 sparkling displays
Jengo the Talking Giraffe
Stingray Bay touch tank *
Carousel, camel and wagon rides *
Alcoholic beverages available for purchase every Friday and Saturday night
Make ZooLights a family tradition and enjoy one of the largest holiday light shows in the country!

* Additional fee required.
Share this event!
http://phoenixzoo.org/event-items/zoolights/




RAWHIDE   

Need to contact Rawhide? Here’s how:

Rawhide at Wild Horse Pass
Address: 5700 West North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226
Phone: 480-502-5600
Email: info@rawhide.com
Phone: 480-502-5600

ARIZONA SCIENCE CENTER

PLANNING A VISIT?

Open Daily10 AM - 5 PM
ClosedThanksgiving Day
Christmas Day
MORE INFORMATION

General Admission
Adults$16.95
Seniors$14.95
Children (3-17)$11.95
MORE PRICING INFO

Location
Plan Map
600 E. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
GET DIRECTIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment